Re: help finding a dash

On 21 Nov 97, Tina wrote:

> Here's My dilema...I am in the process of restoring a '73 FB.  My first
> VW  therefore my fiance who owns several is letting me do the work.  I
> have succesfully rebuit the engine and am now trying to find interior
> pieces.  Yes I say pieces because my uncle had this beauty in his field
> over fou years and thought nothing of removing the bottom of the dash
> with a crowbar for the radio.  Which was broken anyway....My
> grandfather  gave me this car because he knew it would be restored so
> please help...I need the underside of the dash.  Thankfully all the A/C
> parts appear fine but everything else is destroyed.  I can find the top
> part of the dash but not the bottom. If anyone has this or could point
> me in the right direction I would be very grateful...Thanks Tee

>From your description, I am going to guess that the part you are
looking for is the under dash AC unit.  This was not a stock part,
rather it was part of the dealer-installed made in USA AC package.

The stock dash has a (usually black) vinyl pad on top and painted
metal on the face.  The bottom is open.  Someone here probably has an
AC dah unit that they can sell you, but I don't recommend the AC.
(Please don't get me started.  Perhaps someone else will be willing
to reiterate the many downsides of the AC in the type 3s.)

Jim
                             Laura Kepner-Adney
                         jadney@vwtype3.org
                             Madison, Wisconsin