Re: Wipers

On 20 Nov 97, Australian T3 Register wrote:

> While we're on the subject, I have always had a problem with my '69 passanger
> side (R/H Drive) or drivers side (L/H Drive) wiper blade. (the side the blades
> park) It makes very little contact with the screen, the outer edge from centre
> just flops around - I have tried lots of things.
>
> Triden blades had a hard plastic top and kept the rubber on the inner edge in
> contact with the screen but the outer edge did not even touch the screen after
> about the half way mark where the screen curves
> towards the pillar.
>
> Tried Trico blades which have a spring metal top and a softer rubber and I get
> a good contact in the middle of the blade where it's attached and nowhere
> else.

I really like the Tridon black plastic blades.  There are a couple of
styles of frames, but the one that accepts the VW sheperd's crook arm
nicely seems to fit and work nicely.  I find that I have to scrape
off some plastic at the mold line inside where the shepherd's crook
insert fits to make these work really nice, but that's easy.

One thing that might cause part of your problem is the fact that up
to 70 the T3 used 14" blades while 71-73 use 15".  The 14" blades are
hard to find and 15s are a bit too long and get into trouble like you
describe (but usually not as bad.)

Jim
                             Laura Kepner-Adney
                         jadney@vwtype3.org