Re: Breather tube questions

On 18 Nov 97, Ben R Lowry wrote:

> Thanks for the answers.  Yes my square is a 71, and just earlier tonight
> I discovered that the valve was a paice of rubber tubing, but is it a
> special type?
> When I replace it, should I just get a peice of 18mm tubing, or ask for a
> breather valve?

It was originally a piece of european style fabric covered hose.  I'm
not sure of the original ID, but I suggest that you find a foreign
car shop that carries it and replace it with the same thing.  That
large stuff is very expensive, but you only need three inches or so.

It is important that it be replaced with something that can take the
exposure to heat and oil.  Not all hoses will do that.

Jim
                             Laura Kepner-Adney
                         jadney@vwtype3.org
                             Madison, Wisconsin