Re: wiper motor shafts

On 17 Nov 97, Gmakyb@aol.com wrote:

> I have always had trouble getting my wiper arms to stay fixed on the wiper
> motor shafts.  Even in the 60's and 70's when my VW's were relatively new,
> one or both arms would work loose.  I've tried tightening the set screws, but
> the shafts are deteriorating from wear and rust.  I hate to buy new wiper
> motors because the old ones still work great.  But I can't get the arms to
> stay on!!  Anyone had luck with this problem?

This was a problem up through 68 when VW had a recall and replaced
all of them that were still under warrantee.

I had already fixed my 68 by that time by filing a small flat on the
shaft.  Use the set screw mark to show where the flat should be, and
then just do a bit at a time checking as you go to make sure your
flat is in the right place.

The replacements pinch the shaft instead of depending on a set screw.
This was a MUCH better design.

The 70- used the larger shafts with the knurled taper which also
works quite well.

The best fix for your 67 would be to try to find some of those
replacements for the 68-9 cars that pinch the shafts.  You might even
try the dealer.  If there is still anything available, they should be
the good ones.

Jim
                             Laura Kepner-Adney
                         jadney@vwtype3.org