wiper motor shafts

I have always had trouble getting my wiper arms to stay fixed on the wiper
motor shafts.  Even in the 60's and 70's when my VW's were relatively new,
one or both arms would work loose.  I've tried tightening the set screws, but
the shafts are deteriorating from wear and rust.  I hate to buy new wiper
motors because the old ones still work great.  But I can't get the arms to
stay on!!  Anyone had luck with this problem?

Greg A.  67 Fastback