Re: Re: brake sqeel!!!!

What about the stock anti-sqeek pads. Those little medal pads that go on top
of the pads. Last time that I changed pads there was one attached to the left
side. I've been looking at shows and in catalog and have come up empty.

<<On 15 Nov 97, king-of-battle@worldnet.att.n wrote:

> My front disc brakes won't stop sqeeling!!  Their new pads, I used
> caliper lube and brake pad lube.  It won't stop squeeling when I use the
> brakes.

This is a common problem that I have no easy answer for.  I can tell
you that none of the brake squeal products that I have tried did any
good at all.  I have always found that disassembling and reassembling
the brakes always gave me a couple of day of improvement.  If I tried
any of the aftermarket "fixes" I got the same.

I have been told by a shop that I trust that pads with asbestos tend
not to squeak while the newer non-asbestos pads had a large tendency
to squeak in cars where the brakes were lightly loaded.  For this
reason they kept a few Repco pads on the shelf for those cars that
always had this problem.  I have not tried that solution, but would
be happy to hear from anyone who has.

In general I have been using cheap aftermarket pads and have no
problem.