Re: '73 Squareback questions (loooooong!)

On 13 Nov 97, John M. Kowalski wrote:

> back to Zagreb.  Once I returned to Zagreb, I changed oil (noting
> flakes of metal in oil) and checked the valves.  ALL EIGHT valves
> were so tight that I could turn out the clearance screws two full
> turns before any slack could be felt.  I wanted to check the rest of
> the engine and replace the muffler and a heat exchanger.  Once I
> felt that each of the head nuts were torqued (loosened?) to a
> different moment, I decided to break open the "freshly rebuilt
> block" and found that the 17mm case nuts were loose enough to take
> off without any effort.  The rebuilt case was beat up quite badly
> and the #2 cylinder (NEW!) was scored.

Good story, good lesson.  Anybody can rebuild a VW engine, but it
takes skill and care to do it both well and correctly.  Since nobody
cares as much as you do, this often means that you need to study,
learn, and develop those skills.  There is no free lunch.

Jim
                             Laura Kepner-Adney
                         jadney@vwtype3.org
                             Madison, Wisconsin