Re: Dash wirin

Well I, like the PO, did just that by reconnecting the clock such that the
ground went to the light bulb and the light bulb light went to the ground
connector. Stupid I know, but it was one of my first attempts at repair with
no manual and in the dark. This problem was not to hard to fix.

1. Always disconnect the batt ground.
2. Replace the wire that connects the bulbs to the headlight/ dash light dimer
switch.
3. Check if any other wires got toasted.
4. Before putting everything back check if dash lights work.
5. If they don't then, check the pot of the head light switch.
6. If that is fine and power is getting to the bulbs then check the connection
between the bulb and + terminal. In my case the little nipple at the bottom of
each bulb melted a bit and stopped making contact.

Good luck and hope that unlike myself you do not have all of the problems i
had.

On Mon, 10 Nov 1997, Richard Mason wrote:

> Date: Mon, 10 Nov 1997 20:48:10 -0500
> From: Richard Mason <richmason@mindspring.com>
> To: type-3@umich.edu
> Subject: Dash wiring
>
> You guys are going to love this one.  I have no dash lights.  The PO or
> before shorted them somehow and all of the wires to the light bulbs for
> dash illumination melted, corroded and fell off all the way from the power
> source to the ground, at least what I think was the ground end.  In any
> case, this is the next project that can be tackled purely for therapeutic
> benefit without the expenditure of more than 30 bucks (I hope).  As many of
> you may agree, type III's and VWs in general are better and often times
> cheaper (except for that poor guy who just laid out $1300 for his fastback)
> than conventional therapies.  I have a 69 squareback and access to a 68
> square and later model cars.  My predisposition is to take my car to the 68
> and, with much patience, build wires that look like hers.  Would I be able
> to take the easier option and just lift the wiring out of the other car?  I
> will need to take the bulb sockets anyway.  I guess I could just switch
> guages as well?  The bigger question, perhaps, is how I will prevent this
> new set from shorting out when I give it juice.  Has anyone had any
> experience with this? The oil, headlight, generator light and highbean
> light work fine.  The clock is frozen (surprise) and the gas guage needle
> fluctuates wildly with changes in engine speed (I guess its enngine speed.
> The needle goes up to the proper reading when you turn the key on ad then
> fades to empty with spurts and jumps after that.  Thanks fellas
>
> Rich Mason
> 69 Squareback

     o            o            o            o            o            o
   O   O        O   O        O   O        O   O        O   O        O   O
  O  W  O      O  O  O      O  J  O      O  T  O      O  E  O      O  K  O
   O   O        O   O        O   O        O   O        O   O        O   O
OOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOO