Re: Before you start your prize, POLARIZE!

On 10 Nov 97, DILLARDP@edu-suu-lifac.li.su wrote:

> Ah dear friends, if you disconnect your generator from the voltage
> regulator, be absitively posolutely sure to POLARIZE the generator
> before re-connecting it and starting your engine.

There may be more misunderstanding of generators and charging systems
than any other part of the car.  Perhaps it's just because people who
get "into" cars tend to be more mechanically inclined and less
electrically aware, or whatever.

Anyway, polarizing the generator is one of those "mystical" processes
that seems to have a special attraction to people.  In reality, it is
VERY seldom necessary.  There are only two times that I would even
consider bothering with it.

1)  After I have COMPLETELY disassembled a generator, including
removing the field coils from the generator body.  In this case it is
possible to accidentally switch the two pole pieces and neutralize
or reverse the residual field.

Note that commercial rebuilders will have to repolarize
their rebuilds before they test them, so you don't need to worry
about this when you take a "new" unit out of the box.

 2)  After someone has accidentally installed a battery
backwards.

Of these two possibilities, I have had to do #2 one time in 30 years
and #1 never (probably because I've never had to remove any field
coils ;-)

Polarization is just a matter of making sure that the residual field
in your generator is in the right direction so that when it starts up
it will generate the right electrical polarity.  There is no need to
re-do this periodically because normal operation "refreshes" this
field strength every time the generator is operated.  In fact,
"refreshing" is not really necessary.  The residual field is quite
stable and will hold for decades in a stored car or just a generator
on the shelf.

When the engine is off, there is no current in any of the wires
between the generator and the regulator, so it really doesn't matter
whether they are connected or not.

The one time I had to do this came just  a couple of years ago with a
Karmann Ghia that someone had installed the battery backwards in
several months before.  The battery problem had been fixed, but the
car had never been able to keep its battery charged after that.  When
they asked me to look at it I was puzzled at first because the
battery voltage went DOWN as the rpm went up.

I finally disconnected the generator from the battery (which they had
been keeping on a charger) and watched the generator output alone.
It was negative!  I repolarized it quickly, reconnected the wires,
and sent them home.  I was really surprised, but the generator and
the regulator were both fine.  I suspect that the battery, which was
new, had taken a beating, however.

Jim
                             Laura Kepner-Adney
                         jadney@vwtype3.org