Re: engine help

On  9 Nov 97, John R. Jetty wrote:

> I need to get a engine for my square I want to rebuild an engine but
> I neither have the tools or a dust free environment to do this in (
> I live in the desert of southern Nevada) typically how much is it to
> get a 1641cc engine and how big of an engine can I go heat is a big
> factor ( 120 degrees
>  is not uncommon) where I live I have to travel through a mile high
>  pass in

I would stick to a stock 1600 engine.  The small increments in
displacemant that are cheap to do are not reliable, and the larger
displacements come at considerable cost.

If you want to go larger, avoid the 87mm pistons; stick to 88 or
90.5.  These can be made reliable, but it is neither easy nor cheap.
Buy a catalog from Gene Berg for more info; the catalog also lists a
number of info sheets that they sell that are very good.

Jim
                             Laura Kepner-Adney
                         jadney@vwtype3.org
                             Madison, Wisconsin