Re: Washing your air cleaner

On  7 Nov 97, Adriaan Loedolff wrote:

> How can I wash my air cleaner? This question has been bugging
> me for a while now as the inside of the ducts running from the oil
> bath to my carburettors is quite filthy. I know that VW says only to
> clean the oil bath regularly and one should only scrape away
> accumulated dirt with a piece of wood but after 204 000 miles there
> is a lot of gunk on the filter that does not come off this way.

I would recommend that you just rinse and brush everything carefully
with parts cleaning fluid (kerosene, mineral spirits) until it is as
clean as you like.  Just make sure that you don't leave any loose
garbage that will be sucked into the engine when it starts, and try
not to disturb the original filter material.  It would probably be
best if you let the system drip pretty much dry before you install
it, or the engine might run too rich as the cleaning fluid vapors are
drawn in.

I don't think you need to worry about re-oiling the element.  Just
put fresh oil in the bottom up to the usual mark and it will take
care of itself rather quickly.

I suspect that the VW instructions were just meant to make it clear
that this was not necessary each time you change the oil.

Jim
                             Laura Kepner-Adney
                         jadney@vwtype3.org
                             Madison, Wisconsin