Washing your air cleaner

Hello everyone

I'm re-sending this message 'cause I think it bounced the last time I
tried.

How can I wash my air cleaner? This question has been bugging
me for a while now as the inside of the ducts running from the oil
bath to my carburettors is quite filthy. I know that VW says only to
clean the oil bath regularly and one should only scrape away
accumulated dirt with a piece of wood but after 204 000 miles there
is a lot of gunk on the filter that does not come off this way.

How do I clean this up? As the air cleaner works on the same
principle as a K&N filter-charger I was wondering wether I could use
the same stuff one uses to clean up K&N filters. I suppose I'll then
have to coat the filter with some SAE 30W oil before using it again.

Your thoughts please.

Regards

Adriaan Loedolff
adriaan@norton.ctech.ac.za
'69 Variant Automatic (200 000 miles + and still cruisin' after all of these years!)