Re: Distributor

On  6 Nov 97, Steve Bradley wrote:

> I pulled the distributor cap and the plate that holds the roller
> ball had just snapped in half. I reset the points at a larger gap
> and limped home.

The breaker plate is available separately from Bosch or VW for about
$30.  They do wear out.  That's why I stock them.

> I started calling around for a rebuilt distributor and found one a
> Pep Boys. Get this, a remanufactured Bosch distributor with new
> points (set a .016, no less), condensor, oil seal, vacuum advance,
> and trigger points was $65.00! A local VW parts place here in
> Atlanta charges $90.00 for new trigger points alone.
>
> I asked the guy to call the supplier and verify that it included new
> trigger points and they assured him that it did.

In thirty years of driving and servicing these cars, I have only seen
one set of trigger points that was bad.  I have plenty of good used
sets that should last another half century.

Still, congratulations on finally finding and fixing your problem.

Jim
                             Laura Kepner-Adney
                         jadney@vwtype3.org
                             Madison, Wisconsin