Distributor

As you are all now no doubt painfully aware of the driveability problems
with my '71 FI SB, I thought I share some GOOD news with you.

One of my problems was misfiring and poor performance. I replaced the
points, plugs, condensor and vacuum advance with no effect. I think my
car has a mind of its own because while driving yesterday, the car just
stopped in the middle of the road.

I pulled the distributor cap and the plate that holds the roller ball
had just snapped in half. I reset the points at a larger gap and limped
home.

I started calling around for a rebuilt distributor and found one a Pep
Boys. Get this, a remanufactured Bosch distributor with new points (set
a .016, no less), condensor, oil seal, vacuum advance, and trigger
points was $65.00! A local VW parts place here in Atlanta charges $90.00
for new trigger points alone.

I asked the guy to call the supplier and verify that it included new
trigger points and they assured him that it did.

Sure enough, I picked the distributor up today and all the misfiring and
performance problems are gone (still runs rich though).

Steve B.