Re: FI fuel damper/muffler/mystery box

Toby Basiliko wrote:
> Jim Adney wrote:
> RJ Latherow wrote:
> CHARLES E. HAASE wrote:
> Toby Erkson wrote:
 (snip)
For what it's worth, and that ain't much as I don't have one of these
damper boxes on my car, but I have seen similar applications in fire
trucks (diesels). I was told by the fleet manager that  they're used to
smooth out the flow by absorbing pressure pulses (mostly by the residual
air contained within them) and also to act as a resevoir for fuel in the
event the fuel supply from the tank is momentarily decreased, forward
motion, uphill grade, or for whatever reason, that the pump can draw
upon this supply in order to keep a constant and steady flow to the
motor. This may not apply at all to VW motors, but it seems to be
logical.
David Walters
'73 1600 L Notch
S. FL, USA