Re: Horn ground issues

On  4 Nov 97, Richard Mason wrote:

> At 06:59 PM 11/4/97 -600, you wrote:

> >It is a 6" brown wire that runs from under one of the steering
> >gearbox cover bolts to under the top left frame horn bolt.

> I'm trying to imagine this.  When you say the "top left frame horn
> bolt" I'm thinking of my horn which is bolted by a single 13mm bolt
> to the left underside of the bumper.  It has two wires that plug on:
> one with juice and one without.  Both run from the passenger
> compartment inside a plastic sheath through the trunk to the horn
> from, I guess the fuse box and somewhere else.

Sorry, the "frame horns" are the two heavy metal structures that come
forward from the pan and grab the front axle beam.  Not the same as
the "horn frame" or whatever.

 The steering box is
> connected to the bottom of the steering shaft? by three bolts, one
> of which goes through a push onn male connector that connects the
> ground wire running through the steering column.  If I were on my
> back looking up at this whole assembly, where would I see this 6"
> brown wire you are referrig to and if it is missing, where would I
> run a new one (does it have male or female connectors and where
> would the ground end near the how be located.  I would think the
> connectors would still be in place).

Only 6" long, but it is likely that you can't see it.  You'll have to
feel for it.  Feel around on the TOP of the steering gear box.

The whole wire assembly  consists of two ring lugs crimped onto a
piece of wire.  If the wire is broken off there will only be a stump
of a ring lug, or less, remaining.

The other suggestion that the jumper around the rubber coupler might
be missing is also a good one to look for.

>   P.S.  I also took a look at
> the master cylinder and I noticed two taped off female connectors
> that are part of the harness that includes the wires for the two
> brake light switches that are on a dual-chamber master cylinder.
> Any idea what these are for?

68-9 used an unusual MC originally.  This had three switches, each
with 2 pins.  Your MC has probably been replaced with the later style
and the third switch is no longer used.  The third switch operated
the brake warning light on the dash under the speedo.  You can
upgrade your wiring harnesss to take advantage of the late MC which
should have 3 pin switches if you can find the late harness from a
70-3 t3.  The upper end of the harness is in the trunk just above the
MC.  The three in-line connectors will be obvious.

Jim
                             Laura Kepner-Adney
                         jadney@vwtype3.org
                             Madison, Wisconsin