Forwarded message:
From:	Toby_Erkson@ccm.jf.intel.com (Toby Erkson)
To:	type-3@umich.edu
Date: 97-11-03 17:06:37 EST

Your question isn't stupid, but your logic is faulty.

Two carbs are better than one for fuel economy and performance, and two
barrels
(throats) per carb are better than one as well.  The only difference in
maintenance would be an extra air filter if your system was not sharing one.

Having two allows you to put one carb at each intake.  If you have just one
carb
you must put it in the center of the engine -- not the greatest of places
because you will need to cut a hole in your engine lid or get a side draft
style
of carb.

Trust me, keep the two carb setup.  If the carbs are single barrel then
consider
getting two barrels if you really feel the need to spend money.
     Toby Erkson, air_cooled_nut@pobox.com
     '72 VW Squareback 1.6L bored and stroked to 2.0L
     '75 Porsche 914 1.8L