Instrument restoration tip.

Hi

This one is for everyone with grey-face instruments. Hands up all of
you with rusted or otherwise tatty looking instrument bezels. I'm
talking about the  sliver-grey trim ring in front of the instrument
glass (yes, I know its acually plastic) on the clock, speedo and fuel
gauge. There is light ahead!!!!

Go to a store that sells paint for finishing model aircraft and such
stuff. Ask for Tamiya (sp?) XF-16 Flat Aluminium. It is an acrylic
paint that when mixed well and applied properly matches the original
colour almost perfectly. One has to look real hard to see that its
been painted over.

All you have to do is to remove the instument, take the bezel off.
flatten it down with some 400 and then 1 000 grit water paper, let
it dry thoroughly and give it two coats of paint. The paint can be
applied with a brush and after two coats almost no brush marks will
be visible. Air-brushing will, of course, give the best results - if
you have access to such equipment.

I have just done mine like this and the results are quite stunning!!!

Take care

Regards

Adriaan Loedolff
adriaan@norton.ctech.ac.za
'69 Variant Automatic (200 000 miles + and still cruisin' after all of these years!)