Washing your air cleaner + trip report.

Hello everyone

How can I wash my air cleaner? This question has been bugging me for
a while now as the inside of the ducts running from the oil bath to
my carburettors is quite filthy. I know that VW says only to clean the
oil bath regularly and one should only scrape away accumulated dirt
with a piece of wood but after 204 000 miles there is a lot of gunk
on the filter that does not come off this way.

How do I clean this up? As the air cleaner works on the same
principle as a K&N filter-charger I was wondering wether I could use
the same stuff one uses to clean up K&N filters. I suppose I'll then
have to coat the filter with some SAE 30W oil before using it again.

Your thoughts please.

I had to make a busness trip to the Southern Cape last week. Put
approx 700 miles on my SQB without any problems. Had to drive a few
miles on some untarred (and recently flooded) dirt roads that tried
shaking my car to pieces but she held together.

Did some T3 spares hunting as well - found a nice 90mph red needle
speedo at a junk jard along with some other early T3 stuff. Saw
another '69 SQB in one of the towns where I stopped for a Coke.

Glad to be back - I missed you lot!!!

Take care

Regards

Adriaan Loedolff
adriaan@norton.ctech.ac.za
'69 Variant Automatic (200 000 miles + and still cruisin' after all of these years!)