Re: the great engine search

It's unlikely you'll be able to get a compression check unless the car
is mostly complete(in which case make a deal for the car!).  When I
bought an engine, I was able to listen to it run(for about 30 secs).
The yard guy dumped about 1/4 beer can of gas in the intake air
distributor, hooked up a dud tranny with a good starter to it, made a
battery connection to the coil and let it rip.  Sounded OK, so I
bought it.  Can't beat listening to it run. No rod knocks or loud
rapping sounds. The wrecking yard had a 6 month warranty, so I felt it
was a pretty good deal.  When I got it installed in my '71, I checked
the compression, after the usual tune up stuff.  Was about 105 all the
way around.  Sears has compression testers fairly cheap, might be
worth your while to get one, you can track engine wear that way.  With
a bare engine sitting alone, sold by a private individual, you might
be a little more wary.  If the guy has a spare tranny and starter you
might be able to check it running.

Here's my practice with used engines.  I change oil about every 100
miles, tends to flush out whatever crud was left.  I've seen engine
cases sitting in yards with 1/2" of sludge in the bottom. You don't
know what kind of care the previous owner gave the thing.  When the
oil comes out clean, I go back to the normal drain interval.  Drain it
while it's hot.  Check valve adjustment frequently, too.

If you have a fuel injected Type III, make sure that you keep the
pieces that go with your engine, the various bits differ over the
years.  If you check the back of the Idiot's Guide, Muir has a listing
of engine numbers matched to years.  I've been able to stick a '73
engine in a '71, but I had to make sure that the air cleaner went with
the engine, the heads are ventilated and have hoses going to the air
cleaner, the '71 engine didn't.  Had to change the throttle position
switch to match the '71 FI controller, too.  Nothing that's really
big, but, you just have to watch it.