Re: Come a flood

If you take the front fender off, I'll bet you find you have a hole
rusted in the body right at the front where the heater tube curves up
in the door post to the dash.  DIrt kind of packs in there and
promotes rust.  Another place is at the top rear of the fender.  Get
the fenders off, and clean and patch in there.  Might not be it, but
virtually every wreck I've seen has had some rust or holes in those
locations.  My '71 sure did, plus about 50 lbs. of dirt packed in the
upper rear of the front fenders.
After patching, my standard practice is to hose out the fenders every
time we have a snow.  They put down gravel here instead of salt, but
it still packs in at the rear of the fenders.  There's also a fender
support strut in there, my original fenders had both of these eaten
about in two.

The heater tubes have no connection to the fresh air stuff, it all
originates in the back, so you have some rust holes somewhere.
The fresh air drain tubes still needed to be rodded out, so that
wasn't wasted time.