Re: Horn ground issues

On 04-Nov-97, Richard Mason wrote:
>This is one for Jim.  I've missed his advice over the past six months.  I
>spent a few hours playing with my horn the other day in a vain attempt to
>make it work again.  I narrowed the problem down to the ground wire
>connnection at the steering box end.  It doesn't ground i.e the steering
>mechanism isn't grounded to the car somehow.  If I run a wire to grounnd
>from the end of the ground wire it works fine and I can clip an alligator
>clip around the plugged together conection and ground it as well.  I've
>sanded the connection and the only thing I can figure is that the thing
>that the plug is screwed to is no longer grounded due to corrosion or
>whatever.  This is the penultimate step to inspection and daily driver
>status so please help.

>Rich Mason
>69 Squareback
>the 71 bus went for squareback parts!

Reply...

the steering column is attached to the steering box by a round flexible
coupling, as the brackets from column to coupling, and box to coupling, are at
right angles to each other, there is no earth between them. there should be an
earth wire from column bracket to box bracket to make the earth circuit. This
might be missing or broken on your car.

If this is not the trouble, as yours is a '69, the horn wire goes part of the
way down the centre of the column, it might be broken here.

Andy - Oz T3 Register.