phenolic blocks?

Hi all
	I rebuilt my carbs on a '67 fastback this weekend, and put it all back
together. I read the manual (Haynes) and followed the directions. Now, last
night, I was reading Tom Wilson's (?) How to Rebuild VW Engines, and he
mentions getting extra sets of carb to phenolic block gaskets. What is a
phenolic block? Is it like a spacer that goes between the carb and the
head? Does anybody want to sell me a pair?

THanks
Scott A Johnson
Petaluma, CA
'74 Thing - The Can of Whupass
'66 Sundial - The Van of Whupass
'67 Fastback....The Librarian of Whupass