Subject: FI fuel damper/muffler/mystery box
Author:  type-3-errors@umich.edu at SMTPGATE
Date:    11/3/97 8:30 PM

Some time ago I asked if anyone had come across one of the little
cylindrical metal boxes that are found in-line just in front of the
T3 FI fuel pumps--a dead one, that is.  Well Keith Park found one
that had rusted through and agreed to send it to me for dissection.
You know what's in there?  Absolutely NOTHING!  It was completely
empty, no baffle, no coarse filter mesh, nada.  The only difference
between the inside and the outside was that there was very little
rust in the inside.

Next time I'm under there installing new hose, I will NOT be putting
this part back in place.  It's a fair amount of work to get it in
place just right, it takes extra hose and hose clamps, and it is
something else which can leak.
Jim