Re: Finally paid for!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

On  4 Nov 97, Surfacelic@aol.com wrote:

> Well everyone, my baby is coming home thursday! You may remember
> that about two months ago i siezed the engine in my fastback (an
> expensive lesson i needed to learn about checking the oil!). Well,
> after saving every penny I could I finally gave Shorty (my mechanic)
> the final $476 i owed him. I am getting a new engine, new exhaust,
> and new shocks all the way around. I have one question though. When
> I bring her home, what should I do to break in the engine? Thanks.

Make sure your oil pressure light is functioning!  Both oil and
generator lights should come on when you turn on the key and go out
once the engine starts.  If not, get your mechanic to fix these right
away.

After driving it home I would change the oil, let it cool down and
check the valve adjustments.

Repeat at 100 miles and again at 500.

During the first 500-1000 miles I would try to avoid sustained
driving at any constant rpm, but do occasionally and briefly explore
the rpm extremes.

Jim
                             Laura Kepner-Adney
                         jadney@vwtype3.org