Re: Nice rack!

>What roof racks were and are available for the Type III?
>
>Off the top of my head, here's the list I came up with:
>1.  Original Squareback VW full-length wood-slat rack.  The rack of my
>dreams.  :)
>
>2.  VW Squareback full-length aluminum rack - Can be identified by its 6
>legs and VW sticker on rear.  Corners angle down toward top of roof and not
>into each other.  Clamps to drip rails.
>
>3.  Squareback, non-official VW full-length aluminum rack.  Can be
>identified by 4 legs and 4 clamps.  Circular corners angle into each other
>at 90 degree angles.   Clamps not attached to legs. Clamps to drip rails.
>
>4.  Squareback full-length aluminum rack.  6 adjustable (!) legs, clamps on
>legs.  Corners like #3.  My new rack, supposedly bought in Germany with
>purchase of '71 Squareback.  Clamps to drip rails.
>
>5.  Squareback 1/2-length aluminum rack by VW - Never seen one but I assume
>they are out
>there.  Clamps to drip rails.
>
>6.  Squareback all-aluminum 1/2 rack, made by some German company, I forget
>the name.  Fairly rare, according to the guy who had it for sale.  Clamps
>to drip rails.
>
>7.  VW Squareback chrome 1/2 rack, bolts to roof, original VW accessory,
>easy to find.
>
>8.  Parts-is-Parts reproduction full-length Squareback wood rack.  Clamps
>to drip rails.
>
>9.  Notchback 1/2 wood rack, by VW, 4 clamps.  Clamps to drip rails.
>
>10. Fastback 1/2 aluminum rack by VW.  Clamps to drip rails.
>
>Ok, what else is it out there?

The Rack that I have clamps down has 6 legs,  clamps down at the 4 outer
ones (the middle 2 on both sides are adjustable in height) it is full
length, the bars running across are made like the steel beetle roof rack (
they angle up slightly at the edges), and at the front and back it has 2
eyelets for tie downs..... I am pretty sure it is steel construction, I have
seen one almost identical in a picture on a 56 combi/firewagen

Todd Daley
Ontario, Canada

'80 Rabbit Convertible
'71 Type 3 Squareback