Re: T3 RH mirror

Melissa & Jim wrote:

> On  1 Nov 97, Lee Thomas Hedges wrote:
> > Since Notchbacks were only fitted with a driver's side mirror as
> > standard, but Squarebacks got two standard, the one that was on your
> > Notch door could have two explanations:
> >   -  Your Notch came with the M62 option (and was originally
> >   delivered to Sweden) -  The door came off a Squareback and was
> >   fitted to your Notch at a later time
>
> As I recall, fastbacks came with only a driver's side mirror, but the
> door on the other side had what looked like a flat painted dimpled
> plug in a hole that could be removed to install a second mirror.  I
> know that if you remove a stock mirror from a car that came with it
> you will see that there is a large nut welded to the inside of the
> sheet metal.  Does anyone know if the "far side" door on a fastback
> actually already has that nut in place and how you remove the "plug?"
> Is it possible that some (later?) notches came with similar "plugs"
> in the far side doors?
FWIW, my '73 had the plug in the RH door. From what I can tell, the door
is original to the car (I know, I know, don't say it- the door probably
isn't original, but to all my indications, it is.) Once the plug was
pulled, the threaded insert was there. The LH/RH mirror set I ordered
from WCM (same mirror, different {reversed} base for each side) fit just
fine.
> > I have often thought about finding a good original Squareback right
> > side door from a 1963 to convert my two Notchbacks to the (very cool
> > & useful) dual mirror arrangement.
Wouldn't have it any other way.
David Walters
'73 1600 L Notch