Re: window rubber An Idea..whadda you think?

Dan Hirth wrote:

> At 02:49 PM 5/28/97 -0400, you wrote:
> >Keith Park wrote:
> >>
> >> I got an Idea from sombody this weekend...
> >>
> >> The Notch rear window seal is unavail, at least at any realistic cost with
> >> the molding groove, so what about taking a grooved front windsheild seal,
> >> cutting it, trim to length, and use the proper adhesive to glue to the
> right
> >> size and use it???
> >>
> >> is the front seal as long as or longer then the rear??
> >>
> >> what adhesive would be reccomended??
> >>
> >> any thoughts??
> >>
> >> Keith
> >> parkkj@crd.ge.com
> >
> >I don't know about windshield rubber, but it should fit. You might have
> >to experiment with vulcanizing glue to make it watertight, but the
> >profiles should be the same. Along the same lines however, I always
> >wondered if a Fastback quarter window rubber could be altered to fit a
> >Notchback quarter window, or a Notchback pop-out window rubber to a
> >Fastback? Does anybody have any experience with these swaps? I've been
> >told by the big parts warehouse that the rubber isn't interchangable.
> >I'll be doing the Type I-late model Bus door --> Type III door window
> >scrapers swap soon, I'll try to take notes and let all know how it turns
> >out. With parts becoming more scarce, we should be keeping track of what
> >parts are interchangable (case in point- check out the price difference
> >for outside window scrapers for Type I's vs. Type III's, you'll see what
> >I mean, same part for each car, different mounting holes).
> >David Walters
> >'73 Notch
> >

> What part number for the comparable bus window scrapers?  I'd like to order
> the right kind to replace the ones in my car, a 69 fastback.
>
> Current door rubber is shot.  I want to do a door rebuild...but it seems
> way to $$$.
>
> Dan Hirth
> 69 fastback
> Dan Hirth
>
> dhirth@mms.net
> Raleigh, NC
> USA
Dan; the specs are as follows:  First, the August '93 issue of Hot VW's
has all the details as to what needs to be done (Fixin' Type 3 Window
Scrapers). You need the inner scrapers for a late model Bus (WCM has
them part #211-475-L and 211-476-R, or 211-475B-L and 211-476B-R [Type
III section part #'s], Rocky Mountain Motorworks has them as part
#211-837-475 and 211-837-476) At any rate, they're for the '68 to '79
Bus doors, and you have to save the wire clip from the Type III to hold
the scraper in place. All you have to do is use the old scraper as a
template for the holes on the new scraper, and trim the end off of the
new scraper to make it the right length. I also understand that by using
two of each scrapers, that you can also replace the ones that are
riveted to the aluminum door molding (the outer ones) but since my
moldings are pretty worn, I'm hoping to re-do a Type I molding to fit
(also in the Hot VW article). I've seen these at swap meets for ~$25,
I'm hoping to get two at the West Palm show in June, we'll see. At least
I'll have "new" door rubber. Let me know if there is any more you need.
David Walters
'73 Notch