Subject: RE: EEC System
Author:  type-3-errors@umich.edu at SMTPGATE
Date:    5/30/97 11:28 AM

> >I noticeds that the US cars were fitted with an evaporative emmission

     There's some sort of empty canister for overflow? under the left
front fender on my '71 square, but the actual charcoal canister is in the
rear above the tranny.  On Both T1 & T3, the charcoal canister gets fresh
air from the blower pumped through it; on my '71, it's picked off of the
left fresh air heater elbow immediately after at the fan housing.  On T1,
it comes off of the top of the fan shroud--on the right, I believe.  The
hose is ~1/2inch in diameter.

     Hmmm... I *think* that the air then flows to the air cleaner
after leaving the charcoal canister...  hmmm...
     My squareback is a '71 and has its charcoal canister in the
same location as your '71 fastback.  Perhaps the over-tranny location
is a '71 thing (as opposed to a *squareback* thing).

-Greg
'71 squareback
'63 Beetle