Single circuit master cylinder

Hello to you all

As you might recall, I am helping a friend fix his '67 Notchback.
(You know the one where the engine fell off the jack!!) Well, the
engine is back in and it seems to be fine so I guess I was lucky!

Anyway, I am now busy rebuilding the entire brake system as
everything on this car was shot. I've had all 6 wheel cylinders
resleeved in stainless steel and the drums were skimmed and new shoes
made up, I even got new ATE wheel cylinder washers, so everything is
brand new. I am going to remove the master cylinder tonight as I
suspect that it too will be pitted and scored. It will probably have
to be resleeved as well. What does one have to look out for when
rebuilding a single circuit master cylinder? I have opened my dual
circuit one before and it doesn't seem complicated but one of my
manuals speak of a special check valve inside the master cylinder.
How do I test to see if it is working right? I should be able to get
all the parts from an excellent supplier in my area.

Regards

Adriaan Loedolff
adriaan@norton.ctech.ac.za
'69 Squareback Automatic (199 500 miles)