Re: personal D-Jet opinions (long)

On Wed, 28 May 1997, Dirk Wright wrote:
> I believe I can say that. Since I work at the Patent Office, I looked up
[snip]
> Documentation: There is no schematic for the ecu box - it's proprietary,
> so you can't repair it and you can't diagnose it. Weber carbs have lots
> of documentation for both diagnosis and repair. Additionally, if you want

	Fair enough!  You're quite right.  On the other hand, *if*
you're lucky enough to find them, people often practically give away
ecu's...

> to increase the performance of your engine, you'll need to change the
> fuel system. Since there isn't much information on D Jet, you're
> basically guessing in order to get more fuel out of it (or change it's
> responsiveness). Jetting for Weber carbs is a well known science (and
> art).

	I agree with you 100%; modifying your D-Jet engine is inviting
a heap of trouble.

	On the other hand, a company does sell high-performance D-Jet
modification equipment; I'm attaching info from an ad of theirs at the
bottom of this message.  I'd be curious to know if anybody has experience
with this company!  (Standard disclaimers apply.)

> Cost of repair and availablity of parts: D Jet parts are becoming hard to
> find and are much more expensive than Weber parts. For example, both the
> wiring harness and the auxiliary air valve are unavailble new for my 914.

	I agree that availability of new parts is a dismal situation.
'Tis why I collect spares from swap meets to keep mine going... and
for every carb conversion, a nearly complete set of f.i. components
becomes available... (until they're all gone;)

> After 20-odd years, the wiring harness in any engine will be a mess.

	Can't argue with that.  On the other hand, a while back somebody
posted here that virtually all of the connectors were available from
their local auto parts house (was it Beck-Arney???).  ...but they weren't
cheap...!

> If the law in your state allows it, I recommend switching to carbs. Fuel
> injection is great, it's just expensive and not well supported anymore.

	Thanks for the well thought-out response!  Your points are all
quite valid.  Just the same, I would caution folks to think twice before
pitching their entire system for carbs.  Do it if you must, naturally...
but be informed.

-Greg
'71 squareback
'63 Beetle

//////////////////////// D-Jet performance ad \\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\

Hopping Up your D or L Jetronic equipped engine?  Want to toss those antique
carbs or that old CIS?  Tired of chips that don't work on your application?
Then, move to the '90's with a fully digital, fully programmable system from
SDS.  Our EM-1 series offers the quickest, easiest installation and setup of
any digital EMS on the market today.  SDS allows you to access the entire
spectrum of engine parameters (over 300 points) with its integral programmer
so no complicated, expensive laptop is needed.  EM-1 gives you full sensor
diagnostics and works on naturally aspirated and forced induction engines.  You
can retain your factory fuel hardware on Bosch D and L equipped engines plus
eliminate that bulky and restrictive airflow meter.  Fuel only and fuel plus
ignition units are available starting at around $700.00 U.S.  For a free
brochure contact:

        Manufacturer/worldwide sales      U.S. distributor
        Racetech Engineering              Select Sales
        Bay G 1007 55th Avenue N.E.       5411 N.W. 72nd Avenue
        Calgary, Alberta, Canada          Miami, FL  33166
        T2E 6W1  Ph.403-274-0154          USA  Ph. 305-888-2828"

(Grassroots Motorsports, Nov/Dec '95, Vol. 12, No. 6, p. 20)