Re: Oil Grade ?

On Thu, 22 May 1997, Adriaan Loedolff wrote:
> I am affraid that you will now have to drain ALL the oil in your
> engine and refill it with a good quality monograde oil. Also
> remember that the Volkswagen engine was never designed to use
> multigrade oil.The reason for NEVER mixing any additive of any sort

	Note that current Bentley manuals do include multi-grades in
their table of acceptable oils.

	That said, I like to run single grade when I can... but here in
Michigan in January, it's possible for the temperature to range from
-20F to +60F (though -5F to +40F is more typical).  I use 10W30 here
in the winter, and change it often (~500miles, which is about once per
month for me.  The possible week-to-week temperature variation is just
too great here in the winter to run a single weight oil, IMHO.

-Greg
'71 squareback
'63 Beetle