Re: Help:What year is it?

At 08:45 PM 5/20/97 -0400, Mjloren@aol.com wrote:
>     Also, I just purchased a German type, type 3 muffler. It came only with
>the muffler and no tail pipe. Then I spent another 20.00 and got the tail
>pipe. Only the tail pipe, not the dampner. I had no idea that they were
>sperate pieces. So I spend another 20.00 and get the dampner. Now, I go to
>install it and the dampner is to short to reach the mounting bolt under the
>apron. The end of the dampner also seerms not to fit in the muffler well. The
>muffler's hole is bigger than the dampner end. What else do I need? Missing a
>part?

Last year I found that Bill & Steve's has stock Type 3 mufflers.  They are
for the later cars but can be made to fit any Type 3.  They bolt on with no
modifications from '66 on.  Earlier cars must either get some elbows from
later cars or use flex tubing to go up to the fan housing.  The only
difference on these mufflers from the original '66 to '68? mufflers is that
the tailpipe is a little wider diameter.  I am a little confused by what you
call the dampner.  The tailpipe is all one piece and fits into the muffler
with a special donut and clamp for that muffler.

Larry Edson
sonofed@ix.netcom.com
'66 Type 34 Karmann Ghia
'65 Type 345 w/ electric sunroof