Re: 64 notch that hates the summer

I've had chirping experiences in the past (and a couple of cuckoo ones as
well :) and it's been due to a gap between the carburetor and intake
manifold.  There probably isn't a gasket between your carb and manifold or
the gasket is damaged.  The chirping is caused by the air being sucked
between the two.  Take her to a good air cooled VW mechanic and have 'em
check it out.  The carb may only need to be tightened down a little on the
manifold.

When you hear the sound pull over and lift the deck lid so you're looking
at the engine (while it's running).  Push on the carb linkage if you need
to so you can hear the chirping.  Now *carefully* put your head into the
engine area and try to determine the area where the chirp is coming from.
It will be kinda difficult with all the other noise and you don't have to
be exact, just find the general area as this can help your mechanic.  This
way you should be able to tell if it's coming from the carbs or the
distributor.

There is a lot that can cause the engine to be hot and without more detail
it's very difficult to offer suggestions.  Make sure all of the cooling tin
is intact, you're using the proper fuel and oil, the valves are properly
adjusted, the carbs aren't jetted too lean, the fan blades on the cooling
fan are all there, tires are properly inflated (I'm serious), etc.  See how
complicated it can become?

     Toby Erkson
     air_cooled_nut@pobox.com
     '72 VW Squareback 1.6L bored and stroked to 2.0L
     '75 Porsche 914 1.8L for sale
     Portland, Oregon, USA