RE:timing mark

>From: ken coates <swainsyd@ca.com.au>

>I have recently installed a Bosch 009 distributor and am finding it
>difficult to get the best timing point. Instructions from the dealer were
>to time at the normal timing mark but the car hardly runs at this point
>and I have been experimenting ever since.
>Does anyone have any suggestion.
>Vehicle is 1973 Squareback auto

Are you sure you're looking at the correct timing mark?

Make sure your distributor's mechanical advance is not frozen up.  Pull the
cap off and grab the rotor.  You should be able to twist the rotor CW about
10mm, and when released it should snap back easily.  If it is at all
sluggish it won't respond correctly to the engine's RPM.

NOTE:  All Bosch distributors with mech advance require that you remove the
rotor periodically and put a drop of clean oil on the felt pad that you see
inside the hollow distributor shaft.  This will keep the mech adv mechanism
rust free and working properly.

Jim
       jadney@vwtype3.org               jradney@njackn.com
                             Laura Kepner-Adney