Torque converter rebuilding?

>From: Ford Donald <fordd@macconnect.com>

>I'm sorting through a pile of stuff from the '71 SB I'm rebuilding, and
>I wasn't sure what to do (if anything) with the torque converter. I'm
>pretty sure I'll take the auto tranny in to a tranny shop to have it
>inspected, but I wasn't sure if the torque converter should go to.
>
>Is there some sort of renewal/rebuilding process for t.c.s?
>
>Is there a procedure for checking/verifying the correct operation of it
>while it's out of the car?

I know that AT shops can get rebuilt TCs.  They may have checking
facilities.  At the least it can be cleaned/flushed out.  There is little
harm in at least asking them; they might insist on it so they can check the
finished AT out.  I don't know if AT shops generally try to check out their
work before they try to reinstall it; probably not, but without a TC, it is
impossible.

Jim
       jadney@vwtype3.org               jradney@njackn.com
                             Laura Kepner-Adney