Birth Certificate

>From: Squareback <tfink@hubcap.clemson.edu>

>I got the birth certificate for my squareback yesterday.  The only
>information available was:
>
>Model:			361-031
>Engine:			U0 150 036
>Color:			royal red
>Production date:	December 13th, 1968
>Delivery date:		December 21st, 1968
>Delivered to:		U.S.A.
>
>What does the -031 part of the model mean?

We keep getting this kind of question, and I had not been able to figure out
any meaning for it before, but on a hunch I checked the bottom of the
microfilm in a section labeled "Table of Models" and I think it shows up
there as something called a "sales code."

A 361-031 is a LHD VW Variant L with a 40 kW (54 BHP) M238 engine.  [M 238
is the FI engine, which is also indicated by the U engine prefix.]

Jim
       jadney@vwtype3.org               jradney@njackn.com
                             Laura Kepner-Adney
                             Madison, Wisconsin