Re: clutch question

>From: "T. D. Dapper" <tdapper@value.net>

>A law of physics - the edges of a rotating plate travel faster than the
>center of the same plate.  This means both the clutch pressure plate and
>the fly wheel will wear un-evenly due to more friction toward the outer
>edge of the mating surface.  If the pressure plate and flywheel are
>"dished" enough, a nice parallel clutch disk will not be squeezed evenly,
>and there will be trouble.  There is probably a tolerance for this, but I
>do not know what it is.  The more action your clutch has had, the more
>likely that the steel parts need attention, too.

I have noticed the dish you are referring to, but I believe the PP's come
that way new.  There is always a small bevel on the edges of the PP shoe
that is put there just to remove the sharp edge.  I think if you look at
this bevel on both the inside and outside edges, you will find that they are
still the same size indicating that none of the original surface has worn away.

I think the dish helps the clutch to engage smoothly, and I think you can
get Berg to machine it flat for competition use.

Jim
       jadney@vwtype3.org               jradney@njackn.com
                             Laura Kepner-Adney
                             Madison, Wisconsin