Re: clutch question

Carlson Bryan J wrote:

> A previous post to this list stated that some mechanic installed a new
> clutch disc w/o a new pressure plate, and the thing chattered like
> crazy.  Well, that was what I was planning on doing when I finally get my
> engine together.  The surface on the plate looks fine, no fingers broken
> and all are even.  I thought that a new disc with an old(but
> servicable)pressure plate was fine.  Any disagreement?  It is a stock
> rebuild.
> Bryan
> 73 sq

A law of physics - the edges of a rotating plate travel faster than the
center of the same plate.  This means both the clutch pressure plate and
the fly wheel will wear un-evenly due to more friction toward the outer
edge of the mating surface.  If the pressure plate and flywheel are
"dished" enough, a nice parallel clutch disk will not be squeezed evenly,
and there will be trouble.  There is probably a tolerance for this, but I
do not know what it is.  The more action your clutch has had, the more
likely that the steel parts need attention, too.

Tim Dapper