RE: Dropped an engine!!!! Now what?

On 05/12/97 08:46:37 you wrote:

>Sorry to hear the unpleasant news.  I have almost lost a few over the years myself!  What I was wondering what others on the list
>used for lowering engines?  I have seen expense ($500+) transmission jacks that claim to fit VW engines, does anyone have
>one? Or I have thought about making some sort of bracket that fit your standard floor jack, anyone else?
>Craig Woolston
>'70 Sqback and '71 Fastback
>cwoolsto@ladc.lockheed.com

I've seen a couple wrinkles I've wanted to make up, haven't gotten to them yet, though.  One was an engine dolly that you could make out of some hardwood 2x6s and some heavy casters, saw it in either Hot VWs or VW Trends in the last year or so.  It allowed you to get the engine into position before you ever started in jacking.  I've got the parts located, just haven't gotten around to making it up yet.  The other was a larger jacking surface for your floor jack.  Made up of an old VW flywheel with a suitably sized post welded in the center hole to fit the jack instead of that lame cup they all have.  If you really wanted to jazz things up you could grind off the teeth and glue some rubber on top like a chunk of old truck mud flap or something.  Just some random thoughts.  I've gotten used to the balancing act when I put mine in, I seldom have help to do it, either.  The above items would be fairly cheap to make up, might speed things up a little, too.