RE: Dropped an engine!!!! Now what?

>From: "Woolston Craig" <cwoolsto@ladc.lockheed.com>

>Sorry to hear the unpleasant news.  I have almost lost a few over the years
myself!  What I was wondering what others on the list
>used for lowering engines?  I have seen expense ($500+) transmission jacks
that claim to fit VW engines, does anyone have
>one? Or I have thought about making some sort of bracket that fit your
standard floor jack, anyone else?

I find that it takes two people to do this carefully.  One to man the jack,
and one to balance the engine from above.  Even then it requires that you
have the jack under the right spot so the balance is pretty good.  I know
this is tough the first time, but the balance point is just to the rear of
the oil sump plate due to the fan/housing in the rear.

I use an ordinary floor jack and some wood blocks to set the heat exchangers
down on so the jack isn't pinned underneath.  Then remove the jack and lift
the engine, one side at a time, while pulling out the wood blocks in turn.
Once down on the ground, or on a piece of cardboard, just slide the engine
out from under the car.

Jim