Clutch repair/replacement

Hello everyone

Last night a friend asked if I could take a look at his '67 Notch as
he could not engage any gears without getting severe protests from
the gearbox. It looks to me as if the clutch cable is in
the process of breaking as the adjustment nut is at the end of it's
thread and the clutch lever only moves about half an inch when the
pedal is depressed fully. When the clutch pedal is fully depressed
one can engage 3rd and 4th gears only without scraping them violently
but none of the other gears will go in. Also, while the clutch is in
there is a slight whine coming from somewhere in the bellhousing. I
suspect the release bearing here.

I shall replace the clutch cable tonight so I can make a better
diagnosis of the rest of the clutch. If it turns out to be terminally
ill I shall remove the engine over the weekend to get the clutch out.
The other point is....I have never done any clutch work before, my
car is automatic so I never needed to learn about clutches and stuff.
I have a Haynes manual and it looks fairly straight forward to
overhaul the clutch but any tips and anecdotes from you guys will be
greatly appreciated.

I will keep you posted

Regards

Adriaan Loedolff
adriaan@norton.ctech.ac.za
'69 Squareback Automatic (199 100 mlies)