Paint Questions/Paint codes

>From: HANSCHNEIR@aol.com

>1. Does someone have a source for the color? (i.e. who makes that color? What
>is it's code?) My least desirable option is to have the color mixed as a
>custom color.

I think virtually all body shop paint is customed mixed these days.  It
should be possible to find a paint supply house that can come up with the
recipe for 66 VW light blue.  The closest I can come is 68 VW Diamond blue L
50 B.  {BTW, the L just stands for Lack, German for color.}  Keep in mind
that after 30 years your new paint will not look like your old paint.

>2. Should I demand the body shop to braze all the holes they will make to
>take the dents out?  Bondo cracks after some time.

Weld or braze is preferable to bondo.  I prefer that they NOT make new
holes.  Wherever possible, remove interior panels for them (and leave them
at home) so they can pound things out from the inside.  Touches like this
will give them the idea that you are serious about getting a good job.

>3. Any opinions on clear coats? What did VW's leave the factory with in the
>way of clear coats?

None.  These colors were all opaques.

>4. Should the color of the primer be white? I think that is the color of the
>undercoat that currently shows through the blue paint. I know most primer to
>be gray.

It is a good idea to use a light primer under a light color so that
scratches don't jump out at you.

>Lastly, please send any stories/recommendations anyone might have about
>getting the car painted.  I value everyone's input on the issue.

Don't worry too much about the paint.  Worry about the people doing the
painting.  If you choose the right people, they will do the necessary
worrying about the paint for you.  Talk to them. Talk to others who care
about their vehicles and have had work done.

At a minimum, you should remove any necessary interior vinyl panels and all
the exterior chrome and clips.  If motivated, remove the door handles.  If
truly nuts, like yours truly, remove the quarter panels (& repaint the bead
strip separately), glass, interior, dash pad, instruments, doors, etc.

Jim
       jadney@vwtype3.org              jadney@vwtype3.org
                             Laura Kepner-Adney
                             Madison, Wisconsin