Panic struck this weekend...

>From: "Woolston Craig" <cwoolsto@ladc.lockheed.com>

>Now for the bad news.  In doing the oil/valves/timing/general maintence
this weekend and in trying to replace the spark plugs I
>had a big panic.  When trying to remove the #2 spark plug it was very tight
and after half a turn almost impossible to turn.  So I
>stopped and tried #1, this one came out about 3 turns before it did the
same thing.  So I stopped and attempted to put them back
>in which was even harder.  Help!?
>
> Anyway I thought I had heard at one point that VW were notorious for stuck
plugs and that inserts could be put in (Idiot book I
>think).  I am very un-familar with this as both cars have re-manufactured
engines with 40,000 and 60,000 miles on them.  Plus
>every time I ever put spark plugs in I put anti-seize compound on them and
have never had a problem.

>The car has not been overheated as the valves hardly needed any adjustment
at all and I keep a close eye on my cylinder
>head temperature gauge on #3.  The only thing that has been a problem
lately is running rich which is why I wanted to change
>the plugs as they are probably pretty fouled.  Any helpful suggestions
would be much appreciated.  Thanks...

Oh, &*(&*(, been there, done that, know that feeling in the pit of my
stomach!  I think Muir mentions that Champions do this most often while
Bosch never do.  What were yours?  The one I saw was a Champion.

I have several cars with helicoils.  They have never given me any problems.
I know a shop that would put them in with the engine in the car, but I have
never done it that way.  They did one for a customer of mine 20 years ago.
The theory is that the aluminum chips are no problem for the engine, being
so soft.  You MUST be sure to remove the tang, however.  I have always put
mine in when I could see both sides of the installation.  At times I have
shortened the helicoil inserts a bit to insure that nothing sticks out where
it shouldn't.
I like helicoil inserts.  I believe they are a permanent fix if done correctly.

I strongly dislike solid inserts.  I have one engine that I inherited with a
solid insert and it comes out with the plug every time.  Then you have to
break it loose from the plug with pliers, which scars the insert OD thread.
Then you have to screw the scared insert back into the already damaged head,
damaging it more.

The one problem that both inserts have is that they require removal of
material in an area where the heads are already weak.  Dual port heads
typically crack from valve seat to valve seat and from each valve seat to
the spark plug hole.  So far, however, mine (stock engine) are doing fine.

Jim
       jadney@vwtype3.org              jadney@vwtype3.org
                             Laura Kepner-Adney
                             Madison, Wisconsin