Re: Popping sound

Engine studs causing exhaust noise?  Wow, tell your mechanic while he's "fixing"
that problem to also replace the muffler bearings as well... :P

I think most people on this list will agree that you should do your own tune-ups
for the following reasons:
     1. You only pay for parts you REALLY need.
     2. If you don't have to buy parts then the tune-up is free.
     3. You are the only person you can trust.

Grab John Muir's Idiot's Guide to Volkswagens.  It explains how to adjust your
valves, change the oil, check the distributor points, rotor, cap and
check/change the spark plugs.  Boom, there's your tune-up.  It's what I used
when my '72 was fuel injected and I was new to VW maintenance.  Sure, it will
take you an hour or two to do everything correctly but the more often you do it
the faster it becomes, right volks!  Other advantages are:  becoming more
intimate/knowledgeable of your car, you don't have to lose your car for a day
(for the tune-up) since you can do it at your convenience (a little now, some
later, etc), and it just feels good when you do it yourself because you know you
did it right.

Many people think a tune-up is something a mechanic should do -- nope!
Remember, the VW was designed to be easily maintained and the ability to do your
own tune-up is a perfect example.  Don't be intimidated, it really is easy and
practice makes perfect!

     Toby Erkson
     air_cooled_nut@pobox.com
     '72 VW Squareback 1.6L bored and stroked to 2.0L
     '75 Porsche 914 1.8L for sale
     Portland, Oregon, USA