Rust, OH NO!!

DearType 3 lovers,
     We have found rust on our beloved Quasi.  My girlfriend is devastated,
for she is the one who fell in love with and bought Quasi almost a decade
ago.  It had never fallen victim to rust since she resides in Southern
California.  Unfortunately, we were forced to lieave Quasi in Northern
California witha  friend for 8 months.  My friend, let's call  him Moron,
left Quasi out qith the windows open during a few weeks of rain.  You
wouldn't beleive the mold we had to scrape off before bringing him home :(
     The worst part is on the driver's side floor pan.  It has a hole (OK,
semi hole, almost there).  The problem is I just bought a carpet kit,  but my
girlfriend insists I should do something BEFORE installing the carpet.  Any
ideas as to what can I do,a nd how much rust is reasonable?
     I have seen many VWs with rust, and it doesn't seem to face the owners.
The remainder of the rust seems just superficial, but once again my
girlfriend feels it should be treated before a paint job.
     Your suggestions will be appreciated :)

Patrick
71 Squareback