[Date Prev][Date Next][Thread Prev][Thread Next][Date Index][Thread Index] [New Search]

Fuel filler hose for 68 sqbk

>From: David Yaghoubian <goob@dnai.com>

>While I occasionally enjoy the "freebie"  headrush I get from the gas fumes
>invading my 1968 sqbk every time I make a hard left turn, I've been
>concerned about possibly blowing myself up should some source of ignition
>(like my ashtray) happen upon those fumes.  Therefore, after five years of
>living with a rotted-out fuel filler hose (the short, large diameter one
>that goes between the fender and tank) and only filling my tank 1/2 way,
>I've decided to finally find the part.

I believe the large diameter (~3") hose is all steel into the trunk; the 
rubber part at the bottom is just a grommet that seals where it passes 
through the body. Your leak is probably from the so-called "overflow" hose 
that is somewhat smaller (!1") and located behind the fuel filler tube.  
Leaks in that hose are so common that I stock the parts and have the # 
memorized.  If you look at it closely you will see that it is covered with 
transverse cracks, or perhaps it is just gone!  The 68 uses # 311-201-179A.  
Write me if you can't find it locally.

Actually the loss of gas is the LEAST of your worries.  The biggest problem 
from these is the water that gets IN the tank when you drive in the rain.  
It will cause you all kinds of problems, and the dirt that comes with it 
isn't good for much either!

       Melissa Kepner                                    Jim Adney
       jadney@vwtype3.org              jadney@vwtype3.org
                             Laura Kepner-Adney
                             Madison, Wisconsin

[Date Prev][Date Next][Thread Prev][Thread Next][Date Index][Thread Index] [New Search]