Re[2]: Advice on insurance

This brought up a good point with me and my insurer.  He told me that if a
car obviously isn't unique in its nature then this "stated value" and
"agreed value" can be an issue.  However, if the vehicle is definitely
different than a stock one then the "stated value" will have full effect.

I have my baby insured under "stated value" for the appraised value of $4000.00.
Since I have done so much to the vehicle to alter it from one of similar stock
and have the receipts and appraisal as backup there is no question that the
vehicle is insured under "stated value".

Granted, many of us have a vehicle that we are really attached to but insurance
companies don't have "sentimental value" policies.  Basically, if you are going
to have a "stated value" policy then make sure you keep all your receipts and
have the vehicle professionally appraised (and make copies of the appraisal
sheet!) -- that's what the insurance companies look at.  So if you want your
bone stock VW insured under "stated value" it will need to be in almost cherry
condition (I don't know if car show awards count towards legitimacy of value).

Talk to your insurance agent for more details and ASK QUESTIONS!  If you're not
happy with the answers or they down play your request get another opinion from a
different agency.
     Toby Erkson
     air_cooled_nut@pobox.com
     '72 VW Squareback 1.6L bored and stroked to 2.0L
     '75 Porsche 914 stock 1.8L for sale