A little note about fender & tire clearances...

The May issue of "Dune Buggies & Hot VWs" has an okay article on this very
subject.  One thing I would like to add to my discussion is that the rim
width, in conjunction with the tire size, can affect the fender/tire
clearance.  I was basing my information on a stock 15"x4.5" rim.

One of my mechanics had several rims with different tire sizes.  He offered
to let me try each set for a day to see how I liked the change.  See if
your mechanic or fellow VW nut has something you can try before you
actually buy.

Another thing to remember about changing your total wheel diameter away
from stock specs (aside from inaccurate speedo readings) is when you go
smaller your off-the-line acceleration will be better but your top speed
will be slower.  Conversely, a larger diameter wheel will give less
acceleration but a higher top speed.

     Toby Erkson
     air_cooled_nut@pobox.com
     '72 VW Squareback 1.6L bored and stroked to 2.0L
     '75 Porsche 914 stock 1.8L for sale

P.S.  If any of you monkeys put those &^%$@& 12" or 13" mini-rims on your ride
like the mini-trucks use I'll drive out and personally break your arms so you
can't drive around and embarrass your T3.  Besides, the way those rims stick so
far out they put more stress on the wheel bearings causing premature wear and
failure.  They would also drop the body so close to the ground that you probably
couldn't drive much without scraping the lower shock mounts, front tow hook,
belly, heat exchangers and exhaust.