Stop whining!

Would appreciate input from you sound detectives:

My'69 AT, FI squareback has had an annoying medium-high pitched whine
from 50 to 60 mph.  It stops when I release the throttle, and the pitch
increases with velocity.  Things to exclude:  I replaced the engine
recently, and still have the sound.  ATF and final drive hypoid oil seem
to be at correct levels.  All other systems seem to be working O.K.  I'm
guessing it's tranny, but would like to hear suggestions.  Thanks,
T3'ers.
-Jeff Knipe